CBS membership dues are assessed annually, typically around the end of August. Members are encouraged to return their completed membership form, along with their payment (or first payment, if paying by installments, by the first day of October. We do not have a required building assessment, nor any required donations (although voluntary tzedaka to the charity/Fund of your choice is encouraged). Annual dues, used solely for the operation of the congregation, are based on total family income, as follows:
- Family income is less than $25,000 — Annual CBS dues are $275
- Family income is between $25,000 and $35,000 — Annual CBS due are $440
- Family income is between $35,000 and $50,000 — Annual CBS due are $585
- Family income is between $50,000 and $75,000 — Annual CBS dues are $720
- Family income is between $75,000 and $100,000 — Annual CBS dues are $900
- Family income is between $100,000 and $125,000 — Annual CBS dues are $1,150
- Family income is over $125,000 — Annual CBS dues are $1,400
In addition to annual dues, CBS operates a number of special Funds for different community and charitable needs. Anyone may contribute to these Funds, one time or on a recurring basis, to support the activities of each Fund. These special Funds are:
- Unrestricted Fund – Congregation operating expenses
- Raymond Katz Building Fund – Building maintenance and repair
- Rabbi Fund – Current and future Rabbi salary
- Rabbi Discretionary Fund – Used by the Rabbi for religious and educational purposes
- Fox/Mabel Fund – Educational activities, incl. Religious School, library, camperships
- Religious School Fund – Religious School operating expenses
- Community Fund – Hope Haven, members in need, and other community needs
- DeKalb Food Pantry – Food for the needy in DeKalb County
- Cemetery Fund – Maintenance and upgrade of Garden of Shalom Cemetery
Individuals can also make donations for other special purposes and projects. Please note that all contributions made to Congregation Beth Shalom for purposes other than general operating expenses and/or the above named funds must be accepted by the Board of Directors. If you are considering making a gift to the congregation for a special purpose, or with specific desires and restrictions on expenditures, please be sure to consult with the Board ahead of time. Contact the CBS Treasurer if you have any questions about membership dues, amounts, or payment schedules, or if you are considering making a special gift to Congregation Beth Shalom.
Members may elect to pay their dues in one single payment (by October 1st), in two payments (October 1st and December 1st), or in three payments (October 1st, December 1st, and February 1st). Please note that an additional charge of $5 per payment, required to cover the additional costs, is required for members choosing to pay their dues in a two or three payment plan. As always, no one will be denied membership in Congregation Beth Shalom for financial reasons. If you have a special circumstance or needs, please contact the CBS Treasurer to discuss your situation — all information is held in the strictest of confidence!
Dues payments and donations can be made by check or on-line. When paying by check please send your completed membership form and check, made payable to “Congregation Beth Shalom”, to:
Congregation Beth Shalom
P. O. Box 1177
DeKalb, IL 60115
Dues and donations can also be accepted through on-line payments by credit card. PayPal is the official credit card processor for Congregation Beth Shalom. If paying by credit card, please click here to visit our on-line “store”.
Please note that CBS is charged an additional 2.2% fee plus 30 cents for accepting on-line PayPal or credit card payments. This additional “PayPal Surcharge” fee is automatically added to any Dues or Donation amounts you pay on-line.
At this time, we are unable to create recurring charges through the website. We are also not able to process non-standard dues amounts through the website. If you have a need for either of these services please contact the CBS Treasurer to discuss your situation.